• Adapting to the UK outlet


    Traveling abroad carries with it a number of considerations. As connectivity becomes critical to both business and leisure travel, those who head overseas need to know whether their devices will work in a European outlet. Travelers to the United Kingdom should know that the British use their own plugs and wiring that differ from that of the U.S. or Europe. These plugs require special travel adapters to work correctly.

    There are a wide range of travel adapters for the UK available. The good news is that these adapters also work in countries that have British wiring, like Ireland and Hong Kong. The bad news is that they won't work if the traveler plans on continuing onto Europe after the UK.

    The British plug looks like three rectangles arranged in a triangular formation. The two bottom rectangles are horizontal, and slightly smaller, while the top hole is slightly larger and vertical. In picturing the device, American travelers can turn their own outlet upside down, then turn the paired holes sideways, and they'd have a pretty good idea of what it looks like. While these plugs are known to be the safest in the world, they also require a bulkier plug.

    Frequent travelers might be tempted to buy an "all-in-one" travel adapter. These devices are advertised to work in nearly any outlet, but can be expensive and unreliable. Travelers would most likely be better served by buying a kit of adapters that include all the places they plan on visiting.

    Whether its a business meeting in Hong Kong or a family vacation in London, UK travel adapters will keep visitors connected.

    See also ...

Call us at 1.800.826.4919

Non insurance services are provided by Travel Guard. 
This plan provides insurance coverage that only applies during the covered trip.
You may have coverage from other sources that provides you with similar benefits but may be subject to different restrictions depending upon your other coverages. You may wish to compare the terms of this policy with your existing life, health, home, and automobile insurance policies. If you have any questions about your current coverage, call your insurer or insurance agent or broker. Coverage is offered by Travel Guard Group, Inc (Travel Guard). California lic. no.0B93606, 3300 Business Park Drive, Stevens Point, WI 54482, www.travelguard.com. CA DOI toll free number: 800-927-HELP. This is only a brief description of the coverage(s) available. The Policy will contain reductions, limitations, exclusions and termination provisions. Insurance underwritten by National Union Fire Insurance Company of Pittsburgh, Pa., a Pennsylvania insurance company, with its principal place of business at 175 Water Street, 15th Floor, New York, NY 10038. It is currently authorized to transact business in all states and the District of Columbia. NAIC No. 19445. Coverage may not be available in all states. Your travel retailer may not be licensed to sell insurance, and cannot answer technical questions about the benefits, exclusions, and conditions of this insurance and cannot evaluate the adequacy of your existing insurance. The purchase of travel insurance is not required in order to purchase any other product or service from the Travel Retailer.